Monday, March 26, 2007

BritBloggerment

Had a great time last night playing in the inaugural British bloggers tournament on Pokerstars. Ironically I found out about it from an American blog (Thanks Al).

There was a decent turn-out of 22 people, mostly British, but with a couple of celebrities from over the pond, in the shape of Al Can't Hang, and Katitude.

I started out playing fairly tight - not that I had a great deal of choice , the cards were crap - but finally on hand 47 I picked up 10s Ks. Not great I know, but after the rubbish I'd had up until then they looked good to me. BB was 50, I mini-raised, and was re-raised by Rosie up to 350. I called. Flop came 7s 2h 4s I bet 150, Rosie re-raised to 550. I really should have folded at this point, but, I'd had nothing up to now, I had a King high flush draw, and I convinced myself that Rosie was making a continuation bet having missed the flop! Do I feel lucky punk? I did, so I went all in, and Rosie showed 10c Ac - she had missed the flop, I had 12 outs for either a flush or a pair of Kings, she only needed an Ace. The turn was 2s, and she was drawing dead. Thats me up to 2645, and Rosie down to 650.

3 hands later in the small blind I'm dealt Qc Kc. It's folded round to me and I miniraise. Rosie is the BB, and she goes all in. I've easily got it covered, and I call. Rosie shows a pair of nines, so she's ahead. Flop is J T K, putting me in front, a 2 and a 7 don't help her, and so Rosie is out.

Much later, I'm dealt Jc Kd. BB is 200. I raise 600 preflop, everyone folds except a10419, who re-raises 2000. I have a rush of blood to the head and call, going all-in. What a donkey. He shows a pair of Jacks, so only a King is going to help me. Flop is 5 K 9 rainbow! an ace and a 3 follow, I undeservedly double up, and take some flack from the rail (thanks Rosie).

I eventually went out in 5th place, my 10 J going down to LepRecon777's K 8. Sadly only the first three places were paid. Congratulations to Al Eleven, who came back from being short stacked to beat Cadmunkey.

Thanks to Acorn and BurnleyMik for setting this up. Ihad a good time, got to drop the hammer, and narrowly avoiding a price being put on my head - Apparently being a Preston fan is acceptable to BurnleyMik, but if I had been a Blackburn Rovers fan it would have been a different matter! The banter was great, and people generally stuck around after they went out to cheer the survivors on. Hopefully this will be a regular event, and I can make it again next week. You can find another write-up of the tournament here at The Cloud's blog.