Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Inspiration

I try to set an example to my children, to encourage them to strive to better themselves, to do their best at whatever they attempt.

Yesterday the tables were turned.

I took the kids cycling in Grizedale Forest. It's the first time that we've done that sort of thing together. To be honest, I haven't done any serious cycling for years. In my early teens I would think nothing of cycling 50 miles; today I wouldn't want to think about such a distance.

Towards the end of the day, we're slogging up a hill. My son has already given up and is walking, and I'm seriously considering joining him. I look up the hill to see how far there is to go, and, ahead, I see my 8 year old daughter, moving her bike up the hill through the force of her own stubbornness. At that point I can't get off and walk. She's going through the pain of moving that bike up the hill, with 6 gears less to go at than me, and a lot less strength and experience (though admittedly an awful lot less excess weight too!). I drag myself and the bike to the top of the hill, and then thankfully call for a rest to wait for my son, heart bursting with pride in my little girl.