Sunday, March 30, 2008

So what time does the tide usually come in?


Eclipsed
Originally uploaded by Rambling0n

Had a lovely family day out in Southport today, where I took this photo of a sculpture at the end of the pier.

Whilst we were on the pier, I was approached by an American couple who asked, "Is the tide coming in or going out?" If you've been to Southport, you'll know that when the tide is out it is virtually over the horizon. It was like that then, and I replied "I think it is about low tide now." "So what time does it usually come in then?" they asked, "Morning or afternoon?"

I suppose living on an island you forget that some people can live a thousand miles from the coast, but it was all I could do to politely reply "It's a different time every day." From the look on their faces I don't think they believed me!